Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Wild Within - Cool New Show and Good Book Recommendation

So I am in the depths of winter and I am in between hunting seasons.  I am looking for something to outdoorsy to watch on television or read and I have recently found both!  I don't have many television shows that I follow regularly, but I happened to catch an advertisement for a new show called "The Wild Within" and I was immediately intrigued.  Here was a guy (host Steve Rinella) that was going to interesting places, pursuing wild game and having a blast doing it.  I especially like his approach to hunting and fishing and how he explains that he does this out of respect for nature and to provide quality food for his family.  So far two episodes have aired and I have not been disappointed.  Episode one was a trip to his cabin in Southeast Alaska where he and his brother hunted Black-tail Deer.  The second episode included a buffalo hunt, constructing a home-made canoe, and hunting Mule Deer with Muzzleloader rifles.  The trips are not overly glamourous and you see the failures as well as the successes.

I was interested enough in the show to go to the web site to learn a bit more about the show and the author and I came across Steve's own web site where I found that he is also an author and he has written two books.  I took an interest in his more recent book titled "American Buffalo: In Search Of A Lost Icon".  I downloaded the book to my e-reader and I am a little over half way through it.  I am really enjoying it.  It is a combination of history of the American Buffalo, Steve's own research and tales relating to Buffalo, and his experiences from an Alaskan Buffalo hunt that he was lucky enough to draw a permit for.




Below I have posted the links to The Wild Within television show and Steve's own web site.  The show airs on the travel channel on Sunday nights at 8:00 PM central time.  I have also posted the link to his web site if you are interested.  I am in no way affiliated with the show, book, or author, but it isn't everyday you see an outdoor show that is this appealing and it isn't very often that I start a book that can keep my attention until the conclusion.  Enjoy!

The Wild Within on the Travel Channel

Steve Rinella Web Site

No comments:

Post a Comment