Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Searching For The Perfect Salmon Recipe

The older I get, the more I have realized that hunting and fishing is not only about the actual taking of the fish & game animals with rods, guns and bows.  In fact, that is only half of the process.  It is also about the cooking and consumption of the fish & game animals that completes this cycle.  Without the latter, the former loses its meaning in my opinion.  So with this in mind, I have been searching for a recipe that is worthy of the wonderful Sockeye Salmon I recently caught in Alaska.

I scoured the internet and my own cookbooks to come up with the perfect method of preparation that balances simplicity with elegance.  After testing out a few fillets, I think I have found my favorite and I wanted to share.  This recipe only requires a few ingredients, but delivers a phenomenal result.  Bon Appetite!

Grilled Cedar Plank Salmon with Spice Rub

Ingredients:
Salmon fillet (best fresh caught from Alaska if possible) 
Cedar Plank

Spice Rub
- 1 TBS brown sugar
- 1 TSP coarse salt
- 2 TSP ancho chili powder
- 1 TSP ground cumin
-1/2 TSP black pepper



Instructions:
1.  Soak the cedar plank in water for about an hour and preheat grill to 350 degrees prior to cooking.  


2.  In a small bowl, mix the spice rub ingredients together thoroughly.


3.  Apply the spice rub to the salmon.


4.  Place cedar plank on grill to preheat for 3-5 minutes.  Turn plank over and place salmon fillet on plank (skin side down).  Cook for 12-15 minutes (no turning necessary).  Remove from grill and enjoy!



This recipe is simple and delivers a spicy crust for your delicious salmon!



No comments:

Post a Comment